Clapboard Kids is a hands-on filmmaking program that teaches students professional filmmaking skills from an award-winning filmmaker. Our goal is to inspire and guide the next generation of digital storytellers and filmmakers!
Since 2011, Clapboard Kids has been teaching dynamic hands-on filmmaking workshops to kids, ages 5 years and up at a range of public and private schools in the Toronto area.
In addition to schools, we offer a unique range of workshops at libraries, camps, and community centres. We also offer workshops for birthday celebrations or special events, as well as team-building programs for adults.
Owner and main instructor, Valerie Weiss started Clapboard Kids in 2011 to merge her two great joys: working with children and filmmaking!
Valerie has an extensive background in film, working on a wide range of award-winning productions for Disney Touchstone Films, Columbia Pictures, Universal Pictures, Alliance Atlantis Communications, the CBC and the National Film Board of Canada.
She has also produced, written and directed her own films, which include the documentary film, “Timepiece”, that has been shown across North America.
The following are a select list of productions Valerie has worked on:
- Gus Van Sant’s, “To Die For” with Nicole Kidman and Joaquin Phoenix
- Ted Demme’s, “The Ref” with Kevin Spacey, Denis Leary & Judy Davis
- “Billy Madison” with Adam Sandler
- Award-winning CBC TV series, “Straight Up” (Editor of Gemini award-winning episode.)
- Jerry Ciccoritti’s, “Boy Meets Girl”
- Bruce McDonald’s, “Dance Me Outside”
- NFB documentary, John Walker’s, “Tough Assignment”
Valerie loves to share her extensive filmmaking knowledge with students, helping guide them to create their unique film productions.
Please check-out our testimonials page to hear more about Clapboard Kids!